Food Facility Registration

Contact Us
Food Facility Registration

Facilities that are situated outside the United States that manufacture, process, pack, or store food, beverages, or dietary supplements that are to be consumed in the United States are required to be registered with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Such facilities require the appointment of a US Agent for communication with the FDA.

Facility handling any of the food products mentioned below shall be registered:

  • Dietary supplements and dietary ingredients
  • Infant formula 
  • Beverages (including alcoholic beverages and bottled water)
  • Fruits and vegetables
  • Fish and seafood
  • Dairy products and shell eggs 
  • Raw agricultural commodities for use as food or components of food 
  • Canned and frozen foods 
  • Bakery goods, snack food, and candy (including chewing gum) 
  • Live food animals, Food for animals (e.g., pet food, pet treats, and chews, animal feed)

Steps for FDA Food Facility Registration:

  • Appoint a US Agent
  • Create an Account on the FDA website and choose “Food facility Registrations”.
  • Select “Register a food facility”.
  • Fill in the required details in the 12 sections of the registration form.
  • Review and submit the form.
  • Generation of registration Number & PIN
  • In the case of a foreign manufacturer, the FDA contacts the US agent of the organization and confirms that he has agreed to serve as US Agent.

Details of the Sections of the Registration Form:

FDA Food Facility Registration Renewal:

It is required for the facilities to renew their registrations every other year during the period from 1st October to December 31st of each even-numbered year.

This is mandatory as per Section 415 (a) (3).

Authorized food facilities can renew their FDA Food Facility Registration electronically through FURLS Food Facility Registration Module (FFRM).

In case the facility fails to renew the registration, the registration is considered to be expired. The FDA cancels the facility registrations.


You must register before your facility begins manufacturing/processing, packing, or holding operations.

The owner, operator, or agent in charge of either a domestic or foreign facility that is engaged in manufacturing/processing, packing, or holding of food for human or animal consumption in the United States.

No. There is no fee for registration or renewal.

No. Facilities that manufacture/process, pack, or hold food entering the United States solely for the purpose of exportation or trans-shipment to another country (i.e., none of the food is for consumption in the Unites States) are not required to register (see 21 CFR 1.225). The intent of the Food Facility Registration regulation is to identify facilities that manufacture/process, pack, or hold food for consumption in the United States. However, food entering the United States solely for future export is subject to the Prior Notice of Imported Food regulation (see 21 CFR part 1, subpart I).

FDA has established a U.S. Agent Voluntary Identification System (VIS) in conjunction with our food facility registration database, the Food Facility Registration Module (FFRM). The purpose of the VIS is to ensure the accuracy of U.S. agent information and enable U.S. agents to independently identify the facility or facilities for which the agent has agreed to serve. This guidance provides information for U.S. agents and foreign facilities importing food into the U.S. who choose to utilize the VIS. 

Our Blogs


June 13th, 2024

Understanding the Premarket Notification 510(k) Process: Path to FDA Approval

Read More

June 6th, 2024

Key Components Of Clean Room Design

Read More

May 16th, 2024

Navigating Regulatory Challenges For Drug-Device Combination Products in EU

Read More

Connect With Us